Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 13, Tue July 29th-Bryan Watanabe

Today was really awesome! Melissa, Curtis, Rhonda, Bianca & I taught at 2 schools today. Melissa & I also had another survey to do at the school we taught at last year.
At the 1st school we met up with Pastor DZ, Pastor Thulani & Mandla. Luckily, Melissa & I taught with them last year and it was great to be reunited with them!
Class went well, the students were nice & fun.
I had a nice conversation with Mandla and I was happy to hear that he's starting to preach so that's very good news! I'm very excited for him and looking forward to hearing all the great things he'll be doing for his community.
After we finished teaching, we headed to Muntolokudla high school to do the survey. We got to see the main teacher & principal again, it was nice talking to them once again. The students in the class went crazy when they saw me through the window. It was so great to be back & see them again. They all remembered my name and we had a great time talking & taking pics/video! Melissa had a good time reuniting with some of the students she taught last year too. Unfortunately we were only there for around 40 min but it was a blast!
For lunch, Curtis, Rhonda, melissa, Bianca & I headed over to the same McDonald's our team visited last year. I showed the managers a pic from last year too, haha. I wanted the Batman mask in the display case for the kids meal but they said no. After they found out we're from California, Melissa was able to bargain with them & they sold us 2 masks for $2. :)
Needless to say I was stoked, so I took a pic with the manager that sold it.
After lunch we headed to the Cross Roads teen center in Empangeni where we met 2 team members from South Africa to teach. It's actually an after school club so it's cool to see students show up on their own time to learn The Smart Choices program. The class went great & the students were great as well.
After that, we headed back to Zulu Lodge for dinner. After dinner, we headed over to Vususiwa's home & church to bring food, clothes & toys for the orphans. The children are amazingly happy & they were very appreciative of everything they received! The bonus gifts were 2 new frisbees & we had a blast throwing them around. The had a new church built by the house and it's very cool! By Gods grace, all the money had been donated to build it! Visiting the orphans was very special as I met most of them last year. They really are amazing & such a joy to be around!

No comments: