Monday, August 8, 2011

Uganda Team Trip Report

God is opening up new opportunities fo Beacon of Hope this year. We are finaly being drawn to destinations other than South Africa. New doors have opern to Nigeria, Uganda and Zimbabwe.

Curtis and Rhonda who have been on the South African mission trip twice in 2006 and 2007 went to Ugande this an just returned on Wednesday August 3.

Curtis wrote the following On July 23 after being in Uganda a few days:
"Everything here is going great. I am so impressed with what Moses has done. One reason we are doing so much is because he got the program approved by the inspector of education.
The inspector helped plan the program with Moses. Basically we are piloting the program for Uganda. We are going into a variety of schools,primary, secondary, same sex, private and public. The youth conference is 5 youth from 12 parishes from 16 to 26 years old and they will go back home to share the material there."

As Curtis stated Smart Choices is being evaluated as a pilot program with the intention making it part of the school curriculum throughout Uganda. They first had to do a presentation for the Mayor of Entebe and then were taken to Kampala to meet the Secretary of Education and I believe were also introduced to the Speaker of the Parlement. The program started out by Curtis and Rhonda taking a day to training four people to be Smart Choices instructors. Then they took one more day to have the new instructors present the program back to them and they provided feed back and critique. Next is they started teaching the program to the assortment of schools mentionad in Curis' coments above.

Results:
A total of 667 students were trained.
111 Made new commetments to follow Jesus.
512 Are already Christians and wanted help to grow spiritually stronger.
612 Made to aabstain from sex until married.
540 Pledged to be faithful to one partner in marriage.

The schools that were taught the Smart Choices curriculum in this pilot program were:


  1. Entebbe Junior, private school: Students – 72 Ages – 11-14

  2. Mary Reparatrix S.S., All girls private school: Students – 115 Ages – 13-21

  3. Saint John’s School, private school : Students – 39 Ages – 13-19

  4. Entebbe Comprehensive, public school: Students – 58 Ages – 9-17

  5. Jinja Youth Conference: Students – 59 Ages – 11-43

  6. Chadwick, public school, teachers were on strike Students – 237 Ages – 10-6

  7. Sacred Heart Bugonga, public school: Student – 87 Ages – 9-18

Here are some comment provided by students and teachers.
Nugabe Ben Kalisa
“I have loved this workshop because it taught us about abstaining from sex up to when you are married. And we have also learnt to ask our heavenly father whatever we need.”
Ilhan Au (Iuy)
“You guys have taught me a lot. I wish we could teach the future generation about HIV/AIDS.”
Ariyo Roselyn
“I have really loved this workshop very much and I would request God to bless this people who took us through this workshop abundantly because I have learnt so many things from this workshop of smart choices and I believe it will help me in future.”
Tobach Linda Chantal Violet
“I appreciate the advice and I promise to keep my word. So God help me.”
Education Inspector Ndagga Daniel
“This curriculum is recommended for use in our schools, a good program.”
Nakato Juliet
“Jesus film was so nice I have ever watched it. It has taught me a lot like forgiveness, courage, sacrification, loving others, helping the poor. I would like the Smart Choice group to come back because they are really nice and teach well.”
Kabashinga Jane
“I have really learnt to abstain from sex, trust in one God and to have self-control.”

Tim Andrew, teacher
"The workshop is very interesting and educative to the pupils and teachers. It would save many people if done all around the country. "
Anenu Charlotte
"I really thank you for the wonderful empowerment you’ve changed my life and I’ll always remember you. You are always welcome. God bless you all."

Great job Curtis, Rhonda and Pastor Moses. You have made a great start in Uganda.

No comments: