Sunday, August 21, 2011

Belated Blog Posts and Busy Days

Hi All! Sorry for the late blogging on my part...it's been quite a juggling act with everything going on, but I know that if I didn't sit down to blog tonight, my mom just might strangle me through the computer (kidding, Mom). Anyways, I wanted to type out a few quick notes about the trip and what we've been witnessing that past 2 weeks.
 
This trip so far has been truly amazing. Mark and I worked primarily with Derrick while we were in the Richard's Bay area. The first class we met with contained roughly 120 students ranging in age from about 13 to 15. I have to say, I was pretty darn intimidated, having very little teaching experience (really when I say "little", I mean none), but I slowly became more and more comfortable as the time went on. I think the two main things that made me ease into it were the kids' attentiveness and Derrick's overwhelming passion for the kids. Seriously, I wish I was able to adequately described what I saw. Derrick and his team were so singularly focused on reaching this kids that their joy and excitement became infectious. I couldn't help but enjoy myself.
 
Besides Derrick's excitement, the kids also just capture your heart. Many of these kids put American children to shame with their manners and respect in the classroom. They not only respect you, but they're genuinely excited to see you, to be near you, and in my case, to run their fingers through your hair. "Personal bubbles" hold no meaning here, and I love it. I think that after you've been mobbed by no less than 40 kids who all want to touch any bit of you they can reach, you gotta ease up on the boundaries. Anyways, I have to say that I have absolutely fallen in love with the South African people, and primarily in our case, the Zulu population in the Kwa Zulu Natal province.
 
I'm not sure if I could really condense all that I've done or seen during the past 2 weeks into a blog post, but several other things that have made me fall in love are: 1) Kind and compassionate Clement and Thuli, who did everything from feeding us to cleaning our clothes and sharing in fellowship; 2) Incredible worship that you never want to end and will almost always bring tears to your eyes; 3) Kids. Kids kids kids on every side that love you unconditionally just for showing up; and 4) Sharing in furthering the Gospel with Christians from all around the world.
 
While we have since moved on from Richard's Bay and are now in Pretoria (north of Johannesburg) and are now working with different teams, I want to say that what has struck me this trip and what has brought me personally the most joy is to be able to share life for too brief a time with Christian brothers and sisters from entirely different countries. Usually, when one goes on a missions trip, it's to meet a need or to minister to someone else. In this case, however, I think I have been the one most blessed. I have seen firsthand that there are capable, joyful men and women serving the Lord each and everyday. These are the people who are truly laying down their lives for their neighbor. Many of these people have little resources or are spread thin in their commitments, but have answered the call to help one another and share the burden on a country rocked by HIV and AIDS. When I truly took the time to pause and just see what was going on around me, I was overwhelmed. Clement has opened his home and his wallet to be able to feed, clothe, and school almost 30 orphans. Derrick now works full time as a pastor partnering with schools and businesses in the area to teach this HIV curriculum. And Kenny has left his home in Nigeria to reach out to the people of South Africa and teach people from an entirely different culture.
 
It's been very humbling to see that there is much to be learned from Christians from other cultures and backgrounds if you are only willing to sit and spend time listening to them. I have been so blessed, and I can't wait to see what else the Lord is going to do. Until then...blessings!
 
-Branyn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Branyn, I am so happy you got the chance to blog. I loved reading about your time so far and all the exciting things the Lord has been doing. We're all praying for you and the rest of the team.
Lots of love!
<3

JonOrtiz said...

Branyn, we are so blessed that the Lord paved the way for you to join the Beacon of Hope team in South Africa. It was great reading your blog and seeing pictures of you and the kids. What an amazing opportunity. We continue to pray for you, Mark, and Glynn along with many others back here. We love you all and can't wait to hear more.
Love, Mom and Dad